Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Cookies and Cream

Family Business 


Cookies and Cream

So - as many of you know, my business partner is also my brother.  Rob and I have always been close, as children we rarely fought and always had one another's back.  I taught him how to read and tie his shoes, and he always could lighten my usually more serious demeanor with a joke or his normal teasing way.

However, as I am sure anyone who has met us can see, we are really different people in so, so many ways.  The way we respond to a problem, interact with our spouses, initiate new ideas (of which Rob has many!), sleep, eat, the list goes on.  We are personally amazed sometimes how we were raised in the same household with the same incredible parents and yet can be so independent in our own ways.  Genetics astounds me...

I don't know exactly when it started, but at some point our mom used to refer to us as "cookies and cream".  This partially came as a joke because I was the child with the dark brown hair, brown eyes and olive skin tone and Rob popped out with fair skin, blonde hair and his awesome blue eyes.  But I have come to think back on this phrase as such a compliment to our partnership as siblings.  Who can pick their favorite part of Cookies and Cream ice cream?  As I type I do want to note that I can hear Rob's voice in my head saying, "we all know it is the Vanilla" - he is always to first one to give me a hard time.  Nonetheless, the beauty of Cookies and Cream is the simple way they balance one another.

Rob and I have found this balance in working with one another.  Of course the balance is ever-evolving, as is our relationship.  As the business grows, I am sure this balance will continue to be tested and I for one believe in us to see it through.  While our differences sometimes can drive me crazy, I also am so proud of them and wear them as a badge of honor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment